I really don’t like being in hotels with our toddler (unless they have suites with separate bedrooms which invariably costs a fortune). Oliver having his own room when we’re away means he can go to bed at his usual bed time, giving my husband and I some time to ourselves and keeping him in a routine that has him happy and energetic during the day. We also find that if he has to share a room with us when we are away, he doesn’t sleep as well. If he sees us when he wakes up, he wants us. When he can’t see us, he just settles himself back to sleep.
So unless it’s 100% necessary, we don’t do breaks in hotels anymore.
We’ve done a couple of lodge/private holiday house rentals this year and we recently returned from another at Forty Green Farm Cottage, Bledlow (near Princes Risborough). We have friends who live near there and they recently had a baby, so we decided to couple a weekend away with the opportunity to catch up and meet the new arrival.
Forty Green Farm Cottage in a Nutshell
We booked through Holiday Lettings. The cottage, at the time of writing, starts at £125/night and has 3 bedrooms and a huge garden. There’s parking for a couple of cars as well. The garden has a slide and climbing frame which our son loved. And the bedrooms were all a great size with a double, single and twin all able to comfortably fit a travel cot as well as the beds.
The owners supplied plenty of bath towels, a couple of tea towels and a couple of tea bags and coffee sachets too (as well as a pint of fresh milk).
There was plenty of cutlery and crockery and it was all in good condition too.
Forty Green Farm Cottage Photos
Our Reviews of Forty Green Farm Cottage
For us, this was a perfect cottage rental. Here’s what we loved:
- That huge garden
- The cosy log burner in the living room (appreciated on a cold weekend)
- Location – feels really remote but actually you’re only a 10 minute drive from Princes Risborough
- Lovely walks nearby
- Kitchen well equipped
- The owners left lots of toys for our toddler to play with. He loved that!
- There’s a fully stocked board games cupboard which was hours of entertainment for us
- All the bedrooms were a great size. Our friends came to stay one night while we were there and they managed to get their travel cot into the twin room too (very comfortably)
- The owners offered a stair gate, travel cot and high chair all free of charge for the duration of our stay
Of course, we had to ensure our son was well supervised. There’s a (relatively dried up) stream in the garden and the fireplace in the living room that we wouldn’t have wanted him anywhere near. But we watch him like a hawk regardless of where we are so that was no big deal for us!
We’d go Back!
We’d definitely go back to Forty Green Farm Cottage. It was a lovely base for us for a quiet weekend away. But before we get chance to do that, it’s back to Darwin Forest for us later on this month. I’ll let you know if that’s as good the second time around!